Wanted to learn WordPress without buying domain name and hosting or just wanted to test a WordPress website before making it live on the internet. Whatever may be the reason, I am going to show you step by step, how to install WordPress on XAMPP Server.
XAMPP is a completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. In simple words, it is used to install local server on your computer. You are reading this article that means probably you have already installed XAMPP Server on your computer and wanted to install WordPress on it. So without annoying you anymore, let’s see how we are going to do this.
Steps to install WordPress on XAMPP Server:
1. First of all download WordPress zip file from here.
2. Extract all the files.
3. Now go to the directory where you have installed xampp. Open up the xampp folder and then go to htdocs.
4. Now create a new folder in htdocs and name is “WP” and copy all the files that you have copied in that folder. (You can give any name to the folder.)
5. Now in the WP folder, find the file wp-config-sample.php and rename it to wp-config.php
6. Now open up wp-config.php file with any text editor. I am using Notepad++ as my text editor.
7. Now replace:
- database_name_here with the name of your database. I am renaming it to ‘WP’. You can choose any name.
- username_here with root and leave “password_here” blank
and save the file and close it.
8. Now open your XAMPP Control Panel and Start Apache and MySQL, if you haven’t already done that.
9. Now open up your web browser (I am using Mozilla Firefox here) and go to localhost/phpmyadmin/
10. Now go to Databases. Under Create Database, type in the name of your database that you have entered previously in the wp-config file. Mine is WP, so type in WP under the Create Database and click on Create and then close the tab.
11. Now open a new tab in your web browser and go to localhost/wp/ and you will see something like this. This is WordPress installation wizard. Now select your language and press Continue.
12. Now type in the Site Title, Username & Password that you will use to login into the WordPress Dashboard, your valid Email address and click on Install WordPress. Don’t worry, you can change all of the above settings later on.
13. Now login with your Username and Password, that you have just entered.
14. That’s it. You have successfully installed WordPress on XAMPP Server.
Now whenever you wanted to open your WordPress Dashboard and start making websites, just start Apache and MySQL from XAMPP Control Panel, open up your web browser and go to localhost/wp/wp-admin, login with your Username and Password and you are good to go.
If you have any doubts, then watch the video tutorial: